Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chapter Eight: End of Days Finale (Atomic Highway Solo Playthrough)

The following is copied directly from my GoogleDoc record of the game, including my own notes at the time of writing. I try to keep with mistakes as part of the learning process, so there are some of those as well. The notes are in blue for ease of reading. Anything I add for this blog will be in dark green. Here we go!

-=SCENE EIGHT=-
Proposal: Just do what was planned for Scene 7 before it was interrupted.

Notes: I suppose we'll let Marcus have back 5 Fortune, and we'll use Understanding/Tech for disabling the turret (Difficult - 1 success required, though disabling it without the pulse charge will be Arduous - 3 successes required). We'll use Nimbleness/Stealth or Athletics to get to the turret safely (Extreme - 2 successes required). I don't yet know exactly what the reward will be, but it will be substantial... if Marcus doesn't die or totally botch things. [Repeated from Scene 7]

Character List: Sam Brown, Sandra Brown, Jessica Brown, Emma Brown, Nick/John/Elise, Jake/Mike/Finn/Maxwell/Washington Sisters, fans, Winona, "Beaty" (Zane Walton), "Shooty" (Harland), salvage crew, hostage population, flora, fauna

Chaos Factor: 7 (unchanged)

Threads: a) Survive, b) Get Winona back, c) Investigate Boston, d) Learn more about what's going on in general, e) Address situation in Denver

Modifying the Scene: (0 - which we'll call 10) Proceed as planned. Awesome! (sometimes I don't know what to do when I roll a zero...)

Chaos Question 1: [Um... I can't think of anything I need to ask, since it's all based on skill rolls now, so I'll just play out the scene and then figure out what happens next!]

-=SCENE EIGHT TEXT=-
As soon as he's more than a few feet from the perimeter camp, Denver's turrets open fire on Marcus. It's not too difficult at first since he's so far away. Before long, however, he's having more than a few close calls...

Nimbleness3/Athletics1 to make the run (2 successes required): 3/3/1 > 4/3/1 > 5 Fortune > 6/6/1 = Success! [Wow. Let's hope that pulse charge works alright...]

He makes it to the wall, barely, and easily scales it to the turret's base. It's a massive double-barreled cannon capable of blasting incoming meteorites into dust. What it might have done to him a few moments ago only staggers his very active imagination. Marcus spots the panel and sets the charge as he was told, only now beginning to wonder how long he'd be stuck up here if it didn't work...

Understanding3/Tech1 to set the charge properly (1 success required): 5/2/2 > 6/2/1 = Success! [Whew!]

A quiet hum that lasts about three seconds suddenly fills the air and then... nothing. Marcus waits for the flare patiently, confident that he'd done what he was told. Now whether or not he was told correctly was another matter. Soon enough, though not too soon for his liking, he sees the night light up - green. He breathes a sigh of relief and makes his way down the wall's interior and waits for the others. The instructions about where he could go inside the city limits were pretty vague and bookended by about a dozen giant machine guns. Marcus preferred to just stay put and relax for a few.

“Mission Possible.”

[Awesome! Barely made it but now I can consider what we want to do for a reward. XP is on p.22 and pretty steep (raising Athletics to 2 might be appropriate though) but it might be better to just include it alongside a sweet ride or companion... maybe a really thankful mutant lady-type...]

Now I don't know the exact date but I'm sure it's been at least a year since I wrote this scene and I still can't think of anything cool to do next. I try and then I sort of just end up thinking "Well, that was it. That's the story." Help me Obiwognauts, you're my only help. Thoughts on where to go and what to do next? Thanks for reading!

As a sort of sneak peak, I'll mention I grabbed this yesterday and plan on running at least one solo session with it. I'll post it this weekend - check it out in the meanwhiles!

With Brightest of (The End...?) Greens,
BW

No comments:

Post a Comment