Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Just Bwause 2 (Just Cause 2 Game Review)


I was given Just Cause 2 about a month ago by a friend and played it for about twenty hours in the first couple days. If you've ever played any of the Grand Theft Auto franchise, where spreading destruction is the main way to progress through the storyline, you've played JC2 to a lesser degree. I say lesser because I feel like I could fit all of Liberty City inside the bounds of Panau at least twice over and there are no load times. Let me say that again: You can run, drive, fly, swim, glide, and freefall from one side of the map to the other with absolutely no load times. There's so many little things that are kept track of you'll be playing for days before you realize why any of it matters (if, in fact, it really does - I think some of it is just fun little statistics to make you feel like you've accomplished something that your friends haven't yet).

Take the screenshot above, for instance. That's Scorpio (your character) para-gliding his way to the coast with a machine gun, grenade launcher, and RPG. How did I do this? I used my grapple gun of course. I targeted a spot about a dozen yards away and as I was being pulled Spiderman-style towards my destination I opened my 'chute. This caused me to instantly float upwards a little ways and I grappled the ground in front of me (while still in the air) to pull me along and gain more lift. It's one of the simplest ways to travel, and a quick way to retreat if things get too hectic...

...and things will get pretty hectic sometimes. The island is policed by the local military and gangs (who sometimes pull over to fight each other as you're driving by, which is hilarious) who make fairly easy target in small groups but who can rapidly grow in numbers. It's usually only a matter of time before the military sends in air support in the form of attack choppers. Lesser men would fall to their knees and beg for mercy before being cut to pieces by the unlimited ammo in twin large millimeter cannons floating in a holding pattern just overhead. Not Scorpio. Scorpio says, "Air support? Thanks - I needed more bullets." He bides his time until they arrive and then grapples onto the underside of one, then leaps to the front of the windshield, dispatching the co-pilot who was leaning out, then jumps to the side and headbutts the pilot quicktime-style before going all Apocalypse Now on the confused soldiers below. If he gets lucky, they'll respond by sending one of the choppers that shoots unlimited missiles next.

There's a plot, and unlockables, and some semblance of who the bad guys are and aren't, but in a game where nearly everything explodes and you earn something literally called Chaos Points for crashing cars into other cars, or gas stations, or planes, or bunkers, or... well, you see where I'm going with that. You don't cause havoc on Panau for no reason of course, you do it Just Cause you can. 2.

With Brightest of (Poorly Organized NPC Military) Greens,
BW

No comments:

Post a Comment